Open Source Software Release Engineer
Full job description
Do manual and repetitive build, test and deploy tasks make you cringe? Do you get the satisfaction of automating all the things and supporting developers around the globe? Do you like solving a failed build mystery and are not afraid to find out that you misspelled a variable? Do you like to work in an open and transparent environment? If so, this is likely the job for you!
The Eclipse Foundation is one of the world’s largest open-source software foundations. Its member base and project count is growing tremendously. Some of the largest projects include the various Eclipse IDEs, Jakarta EE (successor of Java EE), Adoptium (previously AdoptOpenJDK) or very recently the Oniro operating system. As such, the Eclipse Foundation is looking for an individual to join our release engineering team in order to help us manage the infrastructure and the CI/CD tools, and to support the developer community of these open-source projects.
Working closely with the members of our small yet effective IT team, you’ll play a key role in fulfilling the mandate of the Foundation and help drive the success of our large community of open-source developers.
This is a remote position, and the selected candidate will be expected to work from their home office. All qualified candidates will be considered, with preference for candidates based in Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Belgium, or any other EU country.
- You will support and operate (as part of the team) two large scale continuous integration systems: a farm of 250+ Jenkins instances and a new but growing GitLab CI setup.
- You will work directly with community members through public channels to provide assistance and tools helping them with their CI/CD requirements.
- You will be always advocating for a DevOps mindset with the required sense of efficiency, security and sustainability.
- You will be participating in our efforts around Observability.
- As part of the IT team, you will proactively be involved in integrating new technologies, processes and tools, all with a mindset of efficiency and maintainability.
- Deep understanding of CI/CD best practices and experience with operating and managing CI services (Jenkins, GitLab CI, Bamboo, ...)
- Good understanding of one or multiple build systems (Maven, Gulp, CMake, ...)
- Good knowledge of Linux system administration and of a scripting language (ideally Bash).
- Experience with distributed version control systems like Git as well as with collaborative forges like GitHub or GitLab.
- Motivated team player, self-starter and able to work independently
- Proficiency in spoken/written English and comfortable with producing clear communication with various stakeholders
Nice to Have
- Experience working in a distributed team across multiple time zones
- Experience with managing systems like Jenkins, GitLab CI, Kubernetes, or cloud-native applications
- Experience with the demands and rewards of working with a highly motivated and passionate open source community
- Familiarity working in a DevOps culture, along with building and integrating tooling with Infrastructure as Code principles
- Experience automating parts of the release process
- Familiarity with SecOps and digital software signing
- Familiarity with working within the constraints of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
About the Eclipse Foundation
The Eclipse Foundation is a not-for-profit, member-supported organization that hosts the world-class Eclipse Java IDE and over 400 Eclipse projects. The Foundation helps cultivate both an open-source community and an ecosystem of complementary products and services.
For more information about Eclipse Foundation, please visit our website at https://www.eclipse.org.
To apply, please submit a detailed resume and cover letter. We offer a competitive annual salary and comprehensive benefits package. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
This is a permanent, full-time position, with the candidate eligible to participate in our competitive benefits package.
The Eclipse Foundation respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and provides accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout any recruitment process, once made aware of a need for accommodation. If you require any special accommodation or support during the recruitment process, please indicate in your email to us.