The Eclipse Foundation is one of the world’s largest open source software foundations, with a proven track record of enabling developer-focused open source innovation earned over 19 years. The Foundation is the home of numerous industry-leading projects and collaborations including Adoptium, Software Defined Vehicle, Eclipse IDE, IOT and Jakarta EE. Supported by over 350 members globally, the Foundation has an established international reach and reputation.
The Eclipse Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) working group is dedicated to developing new and innovative software platforms for the world’s automotive industry. The SDV initiative has the support of leading companies across the automotive, IT, cloud, silicon, and services industries, all of which are necessary to create the platform and ecosystem that will drive innovation for the next generation of mobility solutions. Members of the SDV working group include Accenture, ARM, AVL, Bosch, Capgemini, Cariad, Continental Automotive, DMI, ETAS, Futurewei Technologies, Karakun, Microsoft, Red Hat, Reycom, SUSE, and ZF among others.
The technical writer will have a central role in communicating the activities of Software Defined Vehicle to a number of different audiences and will have a large impact on the reach and adoption of SDV.
If you are curious and are looking for an opportunity to shape the future of open source in the automotive industry, this is the job for you! Sounds like an exciting opportunity? It is — you’ll be working directly with a vibrant and growing community of senior software engineers and architects from more than 30 of the world’s leading automotive and tech companies in the world and drive together a disruptive change in the automotive open source software for the connected vehicle of the future.
The technical writer will bridge the gap between audience and technology creators, being able to understand a message however complex and reinterpret it in order to reach a broader audience.
The candidate will understand Software Defined Vehicle’s goals and broadcast success stories to the public, by gathering information from different sources.
- This is a remote position that can be located anywhere in the European Union.
- Gather information from Software Defined Vehicle associated projects (sdv.eclipse.org/projects) at all levels
- Research, outline, write, and edit content, working closely with the project community and Eclipse Foundation colleagues to ease and foster the adoption of the Software Defined Vehicle projects
- Develop content in various forms for maximum usability, with consistent voice across all documentation (long form text, short form text and video)
- Work closely with the Eclipse Foundation Marketing Team to align on communication messages
- Actively propose communication channels and industry publications to broadcast our message
- Develop the Software Defined Vehicle project overarching concepts (website, hands-on videos, etc.) for documenting the projects
- Align with partnering organizations to develop documentation, which can also be used for educational purposes to grow the adoption of the Software Defined Vehicle projects
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in journalism, communications, or relevant technical field
- 3-5 years of relevant experience in a technical writing role
- Proven ability to quickly learn and understand complex subject matter
- Experience in writing software documentation and procedure manuals and training materials for various audiences
- Experience in developing a documentation framework which can support a multi-stakeholder setup
- Superb written communication skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Experience in working with engineers particularly in software development, refining content, and creating visuals and diagrams for technical support content
- Professional level proficiency in English (mandatory) and German (nice to have)
We offer highly competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. For more information about Eclipse Foundation, please visit our website at https://eclipse.org/
Eclipse respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities, and is committed to providing accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout any recruitment process, once made aware of a need for accommodation. If you require any special accommodation or support during the recruitment process, please indicate in your email to us.